Thursday, December 27, 2012

Skillet Carmel Apple Pie

I'm all for trying something new and lets say this was a recipe that will be a keeper. It required a little more prep since I don't normally do the caramel and I made the crust from scratch, which is how I have been making my pie crusts this past year. It just is so easy it seems kind of sad that in the past I've bought the pre-made crust at the store.

So, back to the pie...this will melt in your mouth and you will go back for seconds. Be sure to add a scoop of Vanilla or Butter Pecan Ice Cream to the pie when you serve it.


















Skillet Caramel Apple Pie

Ingredients:
3 lbs Granny Smith apples
1 tsp ground cinnamon
3/4 cup sugar
1/2 cup butter
1 cup packed brown sugar
2 Tbsp flour
pie crust

Directions:
1. Peel and slice apples. Toss them with sugar and cinnamon. I add the flour to this part because it causes the juices to thicken and not be so runny.

2. Melt stick of butter in the skillet...add the brown sugar and stir constantly until sugar mostly dissolves (mine was still very noticeably there).


3. Put one pie crust over butter mixture and fill with apple mixture. I then cut a couple pats of butter and put into the apples...this helps keep it moist while being cooked.



4. Cover with remaining pie crust. Cut a few slits to let the steam out. I brush with a little bit of milk and then sprinkle with cinnamon and sugar (like I use for toast).











5. I cover the edges with aluminum foil for the first 45 minutes of cooking...keeps the edges from burning. The last 15 minutes of cooking just remove it and let it finish browning.

6. Definitely put this on a cookie sheet because it will bubble over and make a huge mess in your oven.

7. Cook at 350 degrees for 60 minutes.

8. Let cool completly and serve with ice cream.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving us a message. We like to hear from our fans.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...