Angel Food Cake
1 1/2 cups egg whites (10-12 eggs...depending on size)
1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
1 cup flour
1 1/2 tsp cream of tartar
1 tsp vanilla
1 cup sugar
1. In an extra-large mixing bowl allow the egg whites to stand at room temperature for 30 mins. Meanwhile, sift powdered sugar and flour together three times and set aside.
2. Adjust your baking racks so that its on the lowest position and turn the oven to 350F. Add Cream of Tartar and Vanilla to the egg whites. Beat with an electric mixer on medium speed until soft peaks form (the tips curl), gradually add the sugar, about 2 TBSP at a time, beating until stiff peaks form (tips stand straight).
3. Sift about 1/4 of the flour mixture over beaten egg whites and fold gently. Repeat this until all the flour and egg whites are mixed together.
4. Pour into an ungreased 10" tube pan (I used a spring form pan...it was easy to remove the cake after it was cooked and cooled). Gently cut through the batter to removed any large air pockets.
5. Bake for 40-45 minutes or until the top springs back (next time I'll take mine out at 38 minutes...40 is almost too long for my oven). Immediately invert cake and let cook completely in the inverted pan. Loosen sides of cake and remove from pan.
6. Cut and serve with your choice of fruit...we like cool whip and strawberries here.