Saturday, April 21, 2012

Angel Food Cake

We have chickens here on the farm...twenty-eight to be exact and well, we get on average 8-12 eggs a day. So, I counted the eggs I have in the fridge...eighty-six...what on earth was I going to make? I made scrambled eggs for the boys for breakfast (6 eggs). I made some bread (3 eggs), and then a friend said..."Make Angel Food Cake"...I did (11 eggs)...at the end of the day I have seventy-six eggs in my fridge...we had fourteen fresh eggs today. Might be time to start giving away or selling the eggs.













Angel Food Cake

Ingredients:
1 1/2 cups egg whites (10-12 eggs...depending on size)
1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
1 cup flour
1 1/2 tsp cream of tartar
1 tsp vanilla
1 cup sugar

Directions:
1. In an extra-large mixing bowl allow the egg whites to stand at room temperature for 30 mins. Meanwhile, sift powdered sugar and flour together three times and set aside.

2. Adjust your baking racks so that its on the lowest position and turn the oven to 350F. Add Cream of Tartar and Vanilla to the egg whites. Beat with an electric mixer on medium speed until soft peaks form (the tips curl), gradually add the sugar, about 2 TBSP at a time, beating until stiff peaks form (tips stand straight).

3. Sift about 1/4 of the flour mixture over beaten egg whites and fold gently. Repeat this until all the flour and egg whites are mixed together.

4. Pour into an ungreased 10" tube pan (I used a spring form pan...it was easy to remove the cake after it was cooked and cooled). Gently cut through the batter to removed any large air pockets.

5. Bake for 40-45 minutes or until the top springs back (next time I'll take mine out at 38 minutes...40 is almost too long for my oven). Immediately invert cake and let cook completely in the inverted pan. Loosen sides of cake and remove from pan.

6. Cut and serve with your choice of fruit...we like cool whip and strawberries here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving us a message. We like to hear from our fans.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...